- Colleges training teachers and the school of Education, UWI
In Journal of Education and Development in the Caribbean Vol 1. No. 1 1997: Pp 61-82
Colleges Training Teachers and the School of Education, UWI sketches:
- the history of the establishment of colleges training elementary school teachers in the 1830s;
- the establishment of UWI's Department of Education in 1952 training secondary school teachers;
- the creation of Ministries of Education and Boards of Teacher Training across the region starting in 1953; and
- the devolution of the certification of teachers by Ministries of Education, except for Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago, to the Institute of Education, UWI in 1965.
The paper then describes the major changes in Tertiary Education as these relate to the evolution of national colleges and the emergence of the University of Technology in Jamaica, the College of Bahamas and the University College of Belize in the 1990s. It then outlines the seven types of arrangement that had developed between national colleges and the regional University of the West Indies and these types of arrangements as they existed in the Faculty of Education in the Western Caribbean. The paper highlights the need for rationalization and synchronization of these relationships and suggested a framework within which this could be done.